Panel Login

     
 

 

This page contains a selection of archive and current-day photographic images of note

To view a selection of images taken on the actual anniversary day, please click here.

 

Private Collections


Present-day images of Gt Malvern 'Worm'   Mr Clay's 1960's photo's of Malvern Link
  Richard Moreton's 1960's images  
Mr Ralph Ward's steam train images   Mr Steve Widdowson's own collection

 

The front of Great Malvern station on the 'up' (Imperial Road) side.
c.1900


 

Malvern Link station taken from the Great Malvern-end of the 'up' (Osborne Road) side looking towards Worcester.
c.1900

 

Malvern Wells station, taken from the Worcester end of the platform, on the 'down' (St Andrews Road) side. Looking towards the Signalbox which was replaced by the current signalbox (which is still in use today) in 1919.
c.1900

This picture is of the other Malvern Wells station - The Midland station, which was opened c.1875 and was located on the Hanley Road.

 



Newspaper cutting depicting:
"Mr Arch Reynolds with the Great Malvern railway taxi carriage in the 1930's."
 


A circa 1860's lithograph showing the Malvern Hills and Malvern Link Railway Station.

 


A British Rail library photograph of the front of Great Malvern station, with the clock tower still in prominent view.
 


A 'cover' envelope dated 20th May 1988. The cover still contains its original souvenir fold out card which contains information and a brief history of Great Malvern station.

56088 on Sunday 24 1 99 on diverted Margam to Dee Marsh steels 6M24 passing the Wells box.

 

37185 Lea and Perrins with Cathedrals Express headboard on a Hereford to WSH special at the Wells as part of 1994 Worcester Open Day on Sunday 22 5 94.
   

 


Signalbox related

Copies of these diagrams are available for 10 each from our Webshop.
(Webshop facility kindly provided by Olympic Radio (Olympic Media Group) to raise charitable funds for this event)

The below images are taken of 'Signalbox Diagrams'.
Such diagrams show points and signals etc for guidance of the Signalman in charge.

The images presented here are drawn in the exact styles that were used by the GWR and are exactly as they would have appeared in their respective Signalbox at the time.

The actual full-sized diagrams were on display in the exhibition over both days.

Great Malvern
 

Great Malvern Station Signalbox was opened in November 1914 and closed on 14th March 1965.
This diagram shows the layout as it was at Great Malvern in 1949.

Click here for a large size photograph for clearer image detail.

Malvern Link
 

Malvern Link Signalbox was opened in November 1913 and closed on 21st December 1965.
This diagram shows the layout at Malvern Link after 1953.
The siding behind the Up platform (Osborne Rd side) was a passenger bay platform line until 8th February 1937

Click here for a large size photograph for clearer image detail.

Worcester Foregate Street
 

Foregate Street Station Signalbox was opened in 1889 and closed on the 16th August 1959,
This diagram shows the layout at Worcester Foregate Street circa 1950's.
The siding leading off the Up Main (points 11a and 11b) lead down to the riverside and was called The Butts Branch. This closed on 1st February 1957, effectively making Foregate Street Signalbox unnecessary.

Click here for a large size photograph for clearer image detail.
 
The position of this box was quite unusual, in that it was built on a bridge above the downside platform to provide good visibility on a sharply curving layout - Click here to view a BBC Archive image, and here for present day surviving evidence.

Last Updated: 29th May 2010

 

Images, electronic documents and graphics used on this website are
Website designed, managed and hosted by
Olympic Media Group.
www.malvernworcester150.co.uk